How To Save Batteries?

How To Save Batteries?

Enjoying the outdoors is a lot more relaxing when you're sure that you have enough power for your entire trip. Constantly worrying whether you can continue to run your essential appliances takes the fun out of any adventure. Aside from getting yourself a reliable power source like a lithium camping battery pack, you need to know how to save it too.

Battery-saving can either pertain to conserving energy while your battery is in use to make sure you're never short of electricity or saving your battery through maintenance for long-lasting use.

It's pretty straightforward to ensure that you have ample power while you're out and about. The first thing to do is to size your battery properly by listing down your appliances, their runtime, and wattage requirements. Make sure you take into account which ones might have to run simultaneously too.

This way, you'll know if you want a standard 100Ah lithium battery or something bigger like a 200Ah battery. Also, Any electronics that are not necessary while camping should be disconnected and it will also help if other rechargeable gadgets are fully topped off before you leave.

The bigger task is saving your battery from early degradation, which usually springs from improper use, storage, and charging. Even the best LiFePO4 batteries will show signs of decline without regular maintenance.

Here are some of the best tips you can follow to ensure you get maximum battery service life, regardless of its type.

Don't leave a discharged battery for a long period of time.

Make it a habit to recharge your power pack immediately after discharging it. Leaving it below 80% of charge or 12.4V will lead to sulfation, which is the number one cause of battery decline. Sulfation is the formation of small crystals on the plates of your battery when it's left in a low state of charge.

During the charging process, see to it that a 12V battery does not discharge below 12 volts. A full charge should read 12.7 volts, which can be easily tracked through a voltmeter. This is a must-have for every battery owner, as it gives you an indication whenever you need to recharge already.

Be mindful of parasitic loads.

If you're using an RV battery, this can have parasitic loads that discharge it over time. These loads can refer to clocks, stereos, and appliance circuit boards, which tend to keep running even after your vehicle has turned off. Make sure you have a battery disconnect switch in your vehicle and switch it into the "off" position once you're not using the RV anymore.

Stay away from hot temperatures.

While camping is very popular in the summer, try to find a place where your battery is not exposed to extreme heat. This can cause overheating and even an explosion especially for non-LiFePO4 batteries. If you're using flooded lead-acid power packs, check the water levels in the cells more frequently and add distilled water as required.

Practice proper charging ALWAYS.

Using the appropriate battery charger is not enough. Knowing how to properly charge the battery type you have is just as important. Remember, a bulk charge should return up to 90% of battery power, an absorption charge is used for the remaining 10% to prevent gassing and water loss, while a float charge is used to maintain a full charge.

If you're using deep cycle batteries, the most recommended way of topping them off is through trickle charging. Lithium batteries, on the other hand, have specific lithium battery chargers for them. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions when recharging with either a charger or solar panels.

Keep your battery clean.

You might think that a little dirt won't harm your battery but it can actually cause corrosion, especially in your battery terminals. Every battery user should know how to clean battery terminals since these little poles play a huge role in a power pack's overall performance. After using your battery, see to it that the storage area is also free of dirt and has an optimal surrounding temperature.

Saving your batteries for the long term is not a complex procedure. It's not outdoor season all year long, so you want to make sure your battery stays as good as brand new when you're ready to go on an adventure again.

The first step to ensuring a quality power pack is to check your provider. Here at Outbax, our LiFePO4 batteries are tested to deliver real capacity and have served hundreds of happy campers across Australia. If you're interested in buying a new battery, visit our website for a range of premium lithium batteries to choose from!

Back to blog