The performance and maintenance of batteries during winter have always been tackled, as most battery types have a tendency to decline in cold temperatures. How about in summer though? Batteries and extreme heat are not a good mix either, as high temperatures can cause batteries to discharge faster and develop sulfation as well. For instance, the city of Gold Coast has a sub-tropical climate and enjoys around 300 days of sunshine per year. Coupled with several campgrounds and numerous beaches, this is a great spot for any outdoor lover.
If you're planning to visit the area, makes sure to bring all your essentials including a reliable battery for a convenient camping experience. Batteries in Gold Coast are not hard to find since there is a Battery World Gold Coast and Century Batteries Gold Coast outlet but if you want to buy them before visiting the city, you can try Outbax batteries as well. We have tons of LiFePO4 batteries that make good caravan batteries, solar batteries, and even marine batteries. Whenever you need to power up any adventure, our power packs are always up for the job.
Are Lithium Batteries Safe In Hot Weather?
Lithium-ion batteries generally should not be charged above 45°C or discharged above 60°C. Extremely high temperatures in battery cells can lead to venting which results in battery failure and even battery fire. Luckily, LiFePO4 batteries are built to combat this battery issue. It's the newest lithium battery technology so far and is famous for its enhanced safety features. These batteries do not explode nor catch fire even when punctured to give you extra peace of mind during use. In addition, they have a built-in battery management system (BMS) that automatically protects against overcharging, undercharging, overheating, and short circuits. One of the many advantages of LiFePO4 batteries among other rechargeable batteries is their versatility in performing under extreme temperatures, making them ideal in several applications other than as camping battery packs. However, it's still important to make sure that they operate under ideal conditions for an even longer lifespan. In the case of LiFePO4 batteries, they are recommended to be charged between 0°C to 45°C.
How Do You Maintain Batteries In the Summer?
Batteries in Gold Coast or anywhere that enjoys longer and hotter summers need extra care for optimal performance. Whether it's a car battery, a 12V lithium battery pack, or a standard 100Ah deep-cycle battery, maintenance should include using and storing them under ideal conditions. Here are some of the ways you can keep your power pack in its best form.
- Store them in a cool, dry place and as much as possible, away from open flames and explosive components especially if you're using a non-LiFePO4 battery.
- Storing your batteries in the summer? Charge it within 40% to 60% if you plan to keep it unused for a month. Anything longer than that should require a 12-hour charging time every month to keep it in good shape.
- Do not disassemble or modify the battery without authorisation as you won't be able to make use of the warranty provided anymore.
- If you're using any type of battery pack to run electric vehicles, see to it that they won't be exposed directly to the sun for long periods.
- Avoid having metal objects near your battery storage area as this may cause leakage, heating, and even explosion. Also, it's best not to charge batteries inside your home. Top them off in a safe, well-ventilated place instead that is out of reach of children.
- Fully discharging your batteries is never okay but in the event that you have drained it completely, you should charge it within 24 hours and the charging time should last for 3 hours max.
Does Heat Affect Solar Batteries?
Since we're on the subject of batteries and hot temperatures, it's inevitable to bring solar into the discussion. Just like other batteries, solar power batteries also tend to malfunction when exposed to heat. Using them during harsher summer seasons will give you shorter battery life and damage its internal components beyond repair too. Even your solar panels have reduced efficiency in higher temperatures. Contrary to popular belief that solar panels work better in sunnier conditions, they actually have reduced power output during these times, since the panels generate lower voltage as solar cells get hotter.
More from Outbax
Ready for your Gold Coast adventure? Start shopping for Gold Coast batteries now! Check out some of our best-selling power packs here at outbax, such as our slimline lithium batteries. We also have a range of deep-cycle batteries for off-grid campings, 24V batteries, and lithium RV batteries. When it comes to local batteries, there's no need to search "batteries near me" anymore. Our online battery shop will cater to you whether you're looking for batteries in Bendigo or batteries in Nerang. While searching for your pick, why not browse through our other camping gear as well like our solar panel types and inverter generators. You might just find something you'd want to bring to your trip too!